Skip to main content

Reflection Blog

I enjoyed learning about and presenting on the "Tweet the Text" strategy lesson. I think this is a very practical strategy that I can see myself using in the classroom. One of my favorite things about this strategy is that it incorporates something that students are already familiar with so that it becomes engaging to them. I like how we allowed the students to enter their tweet electronically so that we could see all of the tweets together and discuss them. An unexpected problem that occurred was that our link was giving some students trouble so we had to send it to them a different way so that they could submit their tweet. Technology can always be a little unpredictable so having a backup way to do it on paper would be a good idea. A good point that was brought up in class was that students might not be able to handle using their phones to complete this activity so having them write it on a piece of paper as a sort of exit slip might be a good way to execute this lesson. I think the passage we gave each group was a bit lengthy so if I were to do this again, I would maybe use a shorter text. Another good idea that was brought up was to use this strategy with a video and I thought that was a great way to keep kids engaged as they are watching something in their class.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

synthesis Blog #2

Chapter eleven does a great job of explaining the role we have as teachers to promote reading in our individual content areas. As a future math teacher, I was starting to doubt my ability to teach difficult math concepts along with reading skills to my students. After reading this chapter, I started to realize that there are many things I can practically incorporate into my classroom to help struggling readers. The article explains that one of the first steps to helping develop reading skills is developing students trust. “If students experiencing difficulty are going to take the risk and give math or science or foreign language a new try, they need to know that you’ll be there to help, and that they’re in a safe place where they won’t suffer further hurt if they don’t succeed on the first attempt” (Subjects Matter, 280). This quote sparked my attention when reading because as a student, I was very shy when it came to participating in class. I can only recall a few teachers that creat...

Synthesis Blog #4

Synthesis Blog Differentiation in the classroom is something that I know very little about. As a future educator, I think this is one of the hardest things to be able to implement in the classroom. This video did a great job of showing practical ways to reach the needs of all levels of students that we will probably have in the classroom. I especially liked the puzzle activity that the teacher did with her students. In this activity, students from all ranges of abilities were grouped together but the questions that each student answered were catered to the individual needs of the students. I liked how the students weren’t separated based on ability but instead, they all got to collaborate and help one another with the activity. Another thing I thought was a good idea is that the teacher presented vocabulary words with the word and also a picture of what the word was describing. I think it is so important to present information in as many ways as possible to stude...
Synthesis Blog #1 Chapter two of Subjects Matter was very interesting to me. Before reading this chapter I hadn’t ever put much thought into what reading actually was or what all the term “reading” encompassed. I like how the chapter starts off and explains the difference between reading and decoding. I think it is so important to recognize that many students may be able to decode the passage and phonetically read all the words but have little to no comprehension of the things they just read. I also learned from this passage that most reading comprehension is only accomplished if the reader has some sort of prior knowledge to build upon. As teachers, it is our job to lay some sort of foundation to our students before assigning them a reading. I like how this chapter explains the many processes our brain has to do simultaneously in order to read any sort of passage because it puts into perspective how much work reading is, especially for students who are still learning. This quot...